Friday, September 17, 2010

Proud to Be an American: Part II

I fished in Montana for several days at the end of August. In the motel we stayed in there was a simple breakfast served each morning as part of the package. The TV in the dining room always had Fox news playing. It seemed to be comfortable for most everyone in the room. I'm not saying whether or not I prefer Fox news. It's clear that Fox presents a conservative or right wing perspective. CNN presents a more liberal or left wing perspective. I'm not saying whether I prefer CNN. Heck, maybe what I really prefer is the Outdoor Channel but that's not the point. Maybe you think one or the other of these news sources is the "truth" and the other is "all lies". Maybe you prefer the cooking channel. Still that's not the point. Maybe there is no such thing as unbiased news reporting anywhere in the world. To a certain extent maybe we are all biased in one way or another.

So here's something else I like about America. We don't have unbiased news be we do have opposingly biased news. How many countries on the planet have that? A few, but not many. Regardless of whether I prefer FOX or CNN or the Outdoor Channel, I live in a country where the news can be reported from different perspectives. I do not take that freedom for granted. It is something else that makes me proud to be an American. My country is not perfect but it is still pretty darn amazing.

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your car carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally. Enjoy your weekend.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment