Friday, September 10, 2010

Proud to be An American: Part I



Ten days after the terrorist attack in 2001 my students put on a Proud to be An American Program. The program had several elements including a moving assembly in the gym and forming the American flag on the football field. A sixty yard section of the field was divided up into approximately 325 grids. Second period classes were designated as red, white, or blue, and asked to wear that color. They were assigned to specific grids. We had no idea if kids would wear the color we asked them to wear and we had no idea if everyone could find their grids without ever having practiced. They wore the colors and they found the grid. That morning was an extraordinary experience on so many levels. The willingness to risk and the commitment that my students showed still inspires me years later.

Certainly there are many things that are not perfect about our country. I can acknowledge that and I can help to make things better. I also acknowledge that there are so many, so very many incredible, good things about my country.

Today, and particularly tomorrow, regardless of what is in the news, I choose to be proud to be an American.

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your car carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally. Enjoy your weekend.

P

1 comment: