Friday, October 23, 2009

Dinner with Grandma

Earlier in the week I had started to write something about aging and having just turned 59. Fall leaves, malfunctioning computer, stuff like that. It’s still there; I’ll get back to it eventually.

Our daughter, Annie, just got home from six weeks in Central America; she is quite the intrepid traveler. She is staying with us for several days. We are enjoying listening to her regale us with stories about her trip.

Katy, Annie, and I took dinner down to my Mom’s home yesterday. Our son, Joe, and his wife, Kelly, also came over. My Mom is 86. The last few years have been very hard on her in terms of aging and becoming increasingly frail. The osteoporosis has really taken a toll. With little exertion she is short of breath. She has severe hearing loss. Twice this last month I have taken her in to upgrade her hearing aids and to get them adjusted. Her hands tremble, she is very unsteady on her feet and she moves slowly. She wants very much to stay in her own home but isn’t sure how much longer she can do it.

For so many reasons my Mom is my hero.

Yesterday I was reminded how much I want to pray like my Mom. We say grace and always her prayers of supplication are for others. Her prayers for herself are always prayers of gratitude. As much as she struggles and as difficult as things have become for her, she still says prayers of gratitude. I want to pray like my Mom; I so much want to pray like my Mom.

It’s the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourselves whole physically and emotionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment