Friday, January 13, 2012

The Republican Primaries

I'm not saying what person or what party I tend to vote for. That's not the point here.

I’m enjoying following the Republican primaries. I know that many Americans will get weary of the process, particularly the TV ads, as we approach the November elections. My news sources are the newspaper, radio, magazines, the Internet, and the voices in my head. (I'm kidding about the voices.) Since I don’t watch much television I am not very likely to grow weary of the TV ads.

The South Carolina primary is coming up next week. This state is noted for its hardball campaigning. In 2000 John McCain was the leading Republican candidate heading into the South Carolina primary. A telephone campaign of recorded messages spread rumors that his wife, Cindy, was an addict, and that John had fathered an illegitimate black daughter. (The McCains have an adopted daughter from Bangladesh.) John McCain fell out of favor and Bush went on to win the nomination.

Some of the campaign tactics are in my mind completely out of bounds. Some should be illegal and punishable with meaningful consequences. I’m still fascinated by the process. I’m jaded and cynical about some of the tactics but not about the process.

Here’s the thing; there are no guns. The candidates and their supporters are all alive at the end of the process. Remembering that puts aggressive TV ads into perspective for me.

Okay, just one more thing. I wish to heck that Sarah Palin was running. I am willing to say that I would definitely not vote for her. Its just that Tina Fey's parodies of her are so darn funny! I'm holding out for her to make a late entry.

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment