Friday, December 23, 2011

Anniversary

Thirty-four years ago today, Katy and I were married. It sounds so much longer than it actually feels. I can’t imagine my life without having married her. I was in love when we got married and yet I am more in love today than I ever knew I could be.

When Katy and I were married there were no video cameras, no digital cameras, and no personal computers. There were film pictures and we have an album with them in it. I put a portable cassette tape recorder on the floor while we said our vows so we have a somewhat audible recording of the ceremony.

Where has the time gone? There have been so many changes in our lives and those changes aren’t just the result of changes in the world. We have experienced a myriad of personal change on our own and together. We have grown individually and together. We are still the people we were when we were married. Well, sort of. We are each someone else too. In the midst of that change we have encouraged and supported each other.

We have faced challenges together. A couple of those challenges have been very difficult. We still laugh together and so much enjoy each other’s company. I truly rejoice being in her presence. I still love the sound of her voice. We are still friends and we are still lovers. We each support the other in our individual endeavors and we enjoy doing things together. I still tell her I love her every day and work to show it.

During 2011 there has been marked health problems with two of our extended family members. It has been difficult and it is going to get a lot more difficult in the months to come. It has given us both pause to look at our own mortality, feel our blessings, and to celebrate what is good in our lives.

Thirty-four years ago today we stood in front of our God, our families, and our friends, and made our wedding vows. We both said “I do.” Today, December 23, 2011, I "still do".

It is the weekend and it is a holiday weekend. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally.

PS I still think Katy is pretty darn hot too.

P

1 comment:

  1. Seems crazy to me that it might have been 14 years ago that you shared part of those tape-recorded vows as your special thing at the Retreat. I remember. You were in love then, too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete