Friday, September 9, 2011

Proud to be an American: Part V



Three blogs just ended up being more than I could keep up with. Spring and summer saw me putting a good deal of time into my fishing blog; ergo "A Few Words" took a rest. I am going to try and write A Few Words each Friday again now.


I am remembering. Yes, I am remembering, as I know we all are.

On September 11, 2001 I remember Mr. Dykgraaf, who was also someone who got to school early, coming over to my room about 6:20 and saying, "Turn on your television, something has happened..."

The horror of it all was more than any of us could really comprehend. I remember that. I remember thinking, and saying to my classes, how we would all remember where we were the day that the attack happened and that ALL of our lives would change forever in ways we could not anticipate.

I still can't process it all and can't begin to imagine what it is like to be a relative of a victim.

The night of the 11th I slept only a few hours; I woke up thinking I needed to go to New York to help pick up rubble. I had no place there. None at all.

From September 12, until the morning of September 21, my students and I planned a "Proud to Be An American Assembly". I know many of the staff were skeptical, very skeptical; they openly said it.

We had community members speak, we had student speakers, we had some "angels" sing a chant, and we lit candles and formed a star that filled most of the gym floor. We asked people to spread light in the face of darkness. It sounds so simple to say now and yet there were virtually no dry eyes in the gym.

We decided to form the American Flag on the football field after the assembly. Every student and staff member participated. We divided 60 yards of the field into over 300 grids. Each classroom was assigned to some grids and asked to wear red, white, or blue. We were not able to practice so we had no idea if it would work. Incredibly, so incredibly, it worked.

From September 12, through September 20, there were kids in the room working on the program from 6:30 AM until 5:30 PM every day. Sometimes earlier and sometimes later. It was such an impressive effort. So much heart. So much commitment. So much risk. So very much risk...

Our country is not perfect. I have come back to Winston Churchill's words so many times, "Democracy is the worst form of government--except for all the others that have been tried from time to time..."

I most certainly want to honor the victims of the terrorist attack and I want to honor and respect their survivors.

Ten years later I want to thank all the amazing kids who made our Proud to Be An American Assembly work on September 21, 2001. You went to every classroom in the school and sold participation. I am still in awe. I knew you could do it but in a certain way I don't know how you did it. How on earth did you do it? I am still in awe.

My most poignant memory is of Mr. Daverso coming in the classroom after the assembly. There were 63 kids in the room Major Daverso had been an Army Air Cavalry officer in Vietnam. Many people had come in to the room to say thanks during third period; Mr. Daverso was the last one. He stepped in the door and said tentatively and uncomfortably, "Mr. P., I want to thank you and your students for what you did. I was one of your biggest detractors. I said it wouldn't work and no one would take it seriously...

I did a tour of duty in Vietman. A tour or two...Yes I did. Mr. P., you know me, I am a cynical man."

I answered uncomfortably, "Yes you are."

He fidgeted and stepped back and forth from foot to foot and said, "If just one time someone had done something like this for me when I came back from Vietnam I wouldn't be the way I am today."

I answered, "Major Daverso, I am a civilian. If I give you a salute will you accept it sir?"

He answered, "Yes."

We exchanged salutes and he left the room.

That exchange in front of 63 kids was in so many ways not really my doing. It was the result of a herculean effort by my students.

I remember the 9/11 attacks and always will. I remember and am still very aware of terror. I remember the response of my school. I remember the risk and the trust that kids showed. I remember not sleeping for two weeks. I remember brainstorming, planning, discussing, talking, worrying, and hoping. I remember being so damn proud to be an American!

Ten years later. It is a time to remember and show honor and respect to the victims and their survivors. Through it all I am still proud to be an American.

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally. Enjoy your weekend.

P

2 comments: