Friday, December 17, 2010

2010 Christmas List

Years ago, when I was younger and better looking, along with teaching Marketing I was also teaching Typing. Yes, Typing. That was the 70's. Not only were there no personal computers yet we were using manual typewriters. That's the kind where you have to press the key all the way down. Here is a picture of the ones we used. If you didn't hold the shift key all the way down long enough the capital letters would be above the line; they were called flying capitals.

Since these weren't computers we had to center everything manually. Horizontally, you went to the center of the paper and then backspaced once for every two letters and spaces to get the starting point. Vertically, you went lines available, minus lines used, divided by two, to find the starting line.

That's an interesting little anecdote but what is "really important" is that for one of our centering projects I would have kids center my Christmas list. I sure thought that was funny. Most kids thought it was funny too. At least the ones that had a sense of humor thought it was funny. I don't know about the rest of them.

Even when I went to full time Marketing in the 80's I was still handing out my Christmas list to kids. I always said, "I'm doing this as a service to you to help take the worry out of your shopping."

One year a kid told me that she had seen my Christmas listed taped up at Everett Mall. Good grief, what was wrong with kids back then?...

I have embraced my new life as a real estate agent but I still want to "give out" my Christmas list so here it is. Truly, I just want the last seven things. (But I'll take the other stuff too.)


Mr. P.’s 2010 Christmas List

Junior Mints

CD’s
(Cool ones of course. And by the way my mother doesn’t like me listening to explicit lyrics so DON’T get me any!)

Moonstruck Chocolates

An iTunes gift certificate

A Lamson Velocity 3.5 Hard Alox reel

A line for the reel

Rose Hill Chocolates

****A bonefish trip guided by MPHS Alumnus Michael White to wherever he says the fishing is good****
(Get this, get this!)

Moonstruck Chocolates
(I know)

A helicopter
(Slightly used would be okay)

A pilot
(Duh, I can’t fly the helicopter.)

Rose Hill Chocolates
(Yeah, yeah, I know)

An NHL Hockey Team
(Preferably in the western United States but I won’t be picky if you get me the Habs.)

My own island in the San Juans
(with a helicopter landing pad)

Microsoft
(Yes, the whole thing. Bill and Melinda would have me and Katy over for dinner I bet.)


The Blackfoot Reservoir
(Never mind I don’t want the island anymore; I’ll just take this reservoir. I really want that bonefish trip though.)

My own private parking space
(Everywhere I go)

Good health for my family and friends
(And me too)

Peace of mind and peace of heart for my family and friends
(And me too)

No suffering for my mother

World Peace
(Yes, I’m serious)

Justice
Forgiveness

Happiness and well being for my kids
Here is wishing all of you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I hope you get everything on your Christmas list and I hope you find some joy in helping someone else with their Christmas list.
It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally.
P








No comments:

Post a Comment