Friday, December 31, 2010

Listening: Part I

I learned a lot about listening by listening. It took me a long time to learn to be patiently, quietly, and supportively present for someone who needed to talk. That lesson was, and for that matter still is, the most difficult when I don’t agree with the person talking. And still more difficult yet, when the person talking is in some way expressing concern about something I have or have not done. It is too easy to mistake listening for grudgingly taking turns talking. Listening can become me waiting for you to stop talking so I can start talking again. I continue to work at being a good listener.


It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your car carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally. Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment