Friday, July 23, 2010

Aging Part III: Making Out in the Car

Last week when Katy an I were riding bicycles she fell. She has a huge bruise on her hip and a smaller one on her elbow. The bruises have gotten worse since last week. I wrote last week how amzaing she was to get out there and try to learn to ride the bike at age 61. I was really proud of her for getting up after she fell and continuing to try and learn to ride. We are not talking about trying to remember something she used to know how to do; we are talking about learning to do it for the first time.

After 90 minutes of riding we headed for home. When we pulled up in the driveway I told her that I was very proud of her and that I was impressed with how hard she worked at learning to to do something new and that she got back up after falling.

We were still sitting in the driveway. I looked at her and thought she is still the same beautiful girl I married 32 years ago. So I asked her if she wanted to make out right there in the driveway. All of my life I think that I have had a lot of good ideas. The thing is, is that some of my good ideas work really well and some of the them don't work at all.

I have no idea when the last time we made out in car was. No idea at all. I know we did but who knows when it was. Heck I'm not sure if we have made out in the car since before we were married. Back then I would bring her home and we would sit outside her house in my mean 1969 Dodge Dart and kiss. It was heavenly.

Now my car has the gear shift lever in between two bucket seats instead of a "three on the tree" manual transmission with a bench seat. I sort of leaned over and tried to twist enough to get my mouth facing hers. Good grief, I don't have the slightest idea how on earth we ever could both twist that far for even three minutes let alone half an hour or an hour. I can't just blame it on the gear shift lever and the bucket seats; we just can't face each other anymore while we are sitting right next to each other. In the end, even as impressed as I was with her accomplishments, we had three quick kisses and that was the extent of making out in the car at age 60. Well heck, that's not what I had in mind, not at all. The bad news is that we just couldn't turn far enough to be even a little bit comfortable making out in the car. How did that happen?!

Ah, but the good news is that back in the house, even at our age, we are still able to make accomodations or other arrangements. Things worked out just dandy. Its still heavenly.

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally. Enjoy your weekend.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment