Saturday, March 5, 2011

Proud to be an American: Part IV

This week Frank Woodruff Buckles died. Frank was born on February 1, 1901 making him 110 years old when he died. He was the last surviving American to have fought in World War I. He was also one of the oldest military veterans in the world. Is that possible? Someone who fought in World War I was still alive last Sunday.

He had to lie about his age when he enlisted. The first few places he went he told the recruiter that he was 18 but since he looked his age which was 16, they sent him away. Finally he went into one recruiter and told him he was 21 and they took him. He served from 1917-1920 in both England and France.

During World War II Frank spent 3 1/2 years as a Japanese POW.

In the seventies and even the eighties when we did Veteran's Day Assemblies at the high school we would have veterans stand and be recognized. Even then it seemed incredible to me that World War I Veterans were still alive. In time there were no more who came.

At this time I have almost finised reading "A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present" by Howard Zinn. I don't know what else to say except that this book is staggering. Before and after World War I there were way more strikes and riots in our country than I ever realized. It makes the sacrifices that people made in the past even more impressive.

I am free, I live under the rule of law, I reap the rewards of my work, and I have almost complete freedom of expression. Thank you Frank Buckles and all those who went before you.

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Enjoy your weekend.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment