Friday, February 11, 2011

Get a Grip!!

About 9 or 10 days ago I ordered some fly tying materials and tools from Cabelas. The order totaled $153 and some cents. I had a $20 coupon so that was motivating me to act. One of the items I ordered was a bodkin. If you click on the link you will see that it cost a whopping $2.99. I do have a bad case of gear lust so when the box came I opened it with the delight of a child. That's not LIKE a child, that's WITH the delight of a child.

But oh look, the little plastic bag with the $2.99 bodkin was empty. I thought about throwing the bag in the garbage and forgetting about it. I called Cabelas and told them I was missing my incredibly important new bodkin but said I didn't want them to waste postage on sending me just one item. I suggested they put it in my electronic cart and ship it to me the next time I ordered something. The gal who I was talking to in customer service told me she needed to transfer me to customer service. "What?..." I was on hold with customer service for a few minutes and then I got a recorded message that said customer service was closed. I thought, "heck it's a $3 item; throw the little envelope in the garbage and be done with it."

I let it sit on my desk for a few days and called back after I ate lunch one day. Someone answered and put me on hold. After holding the call went dead. I called again and I repeated the same story about opening the box and finding the envelope for the bodkin empty. I suggested that they put it my electronic cart and just send it to me the next time I ordered something. This person in customer service told me that she needed to transfer me to customer service. I held for 15 minutes and really had to ask myself, "What the HELL are you doing?" When a nice lady finally came on the line I told her that I should have thrown the empty envelope away and got on with my life. Instead, I was into this for 30 minutes of wasted time and no darn bodkin. The last customer service rep I talked to couldn't find a bodkin in their system at first so she couldn't send me one.

A small part of me thinks its the "principle of the thing" and they should send me the $3 bodkin. Okay, it IS the principle of the thing. Let's see here... Where else in Snohomish County, in Washington State, in the USA, or in the world are there concerns about the "principle of the thing." In Cairo there are millions of people concerned about the principle of the thing right now.

A bodkin? A THREE DOLLAR, stupid fly tying tool?!! GET A GRIP!!! Was I really even a little bit annoyed about that? Sadly I was. I should have thrown the empty envelope in the garbage, not given it another thought, smiled, and thanked God for all of my blessings.
Get a grip! It is the principle of the thing after all and that is that I need to not just count my blessings but feel them!

It is the weekend. Please be good. Drive your cars carefully. Ride with people who drive carefully. Treat yourself with respect. Spend time with people who treat you with respect. Treat other people with respect. Talk nice to yourself; you deserve it. I look forward to hearing from you or seeing you. Keep yourself whole physically and emotionally. Enjoy your weekend.

Oh, and feel your blessings too.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment